NRL Magic Round ScoreCentre: Warriors vs Rabbitohs, Titans vs Dragons, Storm vs Panthers live scores, stats and results

The top-of-the-table clash between Melbourne and Penrith is down a little more star power, with Storm half Jahrome Hughes out with a calf injury, joining Ryan Papenhuyzen on the sidelines.

Earlier, the Titans beat the Dragons 20-16 in the golden point, after the Warriors stormed back from 32-6 down in the final 20 minutes against South Sydney, only to fall two points short, losing 32-30.

Check out all the live scores and stats below.

Storm vs Panthers

Team stats


Titans edge Dragons in slippery golden-point period

Jack Bird puts his hands on his head and looks pained as St George Illawarra teammate Ben Hunt stands with him in the rain.
The rain made extra time a messy affair.(Getty: Bradley Canary)

A golden-point try to Gold Coast’s Jamayne Isaako has secured the Titans a thrilling 20-16 win over St George Illawarra, snapping a five-match losing run.

A knock-on by Dragons’ five-eighth Talatau Amone in the second half of the extra period gifted the Titans field position and after spreading the ball wide, Isaako just held onto the ball to dive over and claim the crucial win after 89 minutes.

It came after a heart-stopping first half of golden point where Isaako and Zac Lomax missed field goal shots.

Both teams scored three tries apiece in regulation time to be level 16-16 at full-time with recalled forward Jarrod Wallace’s close-range 73rd-minute try canceling out what Moses Suli thought would be the winner for the Dragons just four minutes before.

The Titans made a bright start, sparked by captain Tino Fa’asumaleaui’s big hit on Jack De Belin in the opening minutes.

Their enterprise was rewarding when a Toby Sexton bomb was batted back by Phillip Sami and eventually worked to AJ Brimson, who dived over for his second try of the year.

The Titans enjoyed a period of dominance as they forced the Dragons into five straight line drop-outs.

Despite Josh McGuire being sin-binned for a professional foul, the Dragons held out the Titans and leveled the scores when Mathew Feagai crossed in the 21st minute with McGuire still off the field.

Gold Coast managed to snatch back the lead in the 28th minute when Beau Fermor pounced on a Sexton grubber to give the Titans a 10-4 half-time lead.

McGuire did not return for the second half as his 250th match ended early due to a major injury but with Hunt steering proceedings, the Dragons leveled again in the 54th minute when De Belin crashed over for his second try in as many weeks.

Returning Jayden Campbell’s 60th-minute break, where he stepped through several Dragons tackles down the middle of the field, had the crowd on their feet before Brimson took it within 10 meters of the line.

But Gold Coast was unable to back up their young fullback’s work with a knock-on just moments later.

When Sami was placed on report for a shoulder charge as Mikaele Ravalawa tried to force his way over in the corner, Lomax stepped up to kick the penalty goal and put the Dragons in front for the first time in the match with 15 minutes to play.

Suli barrelled over in the 69th minute and the Dragons appeared to be heading to a win but Wallace’s rampaging effort moments later again leveled the scores and set up a grandstand finish.

Neither team could find a field goal to win the match in the remaining five minutes before the extra period and Isaako’s dramatic winner.

Warriors’ comeback effort falls short against Rabbitohs

South Sydney's Damien Cook is hugged by a teammate after an NRL try against the Warriors.
Damien Cook capped off a five-try opening half-hour for the Rabbitohs.(Getty: Chris Hyde)

After trailing 26-0 in the first half and 32-6 in the final quarter of the game, the Warriors launched an audacious comeback attempt against the Souths, only to fall agonisingly short.

Against 12 Rabbitohs for the final six minutes, the Warriors scored twice at the death to put the fear of God into the Souths, but could not get in position for a Hail Mary two-point field goal to level the scores.

Coming off a disappointing loss to Brisbane, South Sydney came out with a point to prove in the first game of Saturday’s NRL action, with five-eighth Cody Walker orchestrating a five-try opening half-hour.

Marcelo Montoya got one back for the Warriors on the stroke of half-time, but when Souths crossed through Lachlan Ilias to start the second stanza, it seemed like a game over.

But the New Zealanders refused to go away, sending Adam Pompey and Jazz Tevaga over in the 64th and 69th minutes respectively before Shaun Johnson narrowly missed out on a solo grubber-and-chase effort.

He looked furious with his own fullback, Reece Walsh, for running him off the ball with the four points his for the taking, but the bunker ruled Walsh had been illegally bumped by Damien Cook in his chase.Team stats

Cook was sent to the sin bin for the final six minutes of the game and no sooner had he left the ground than Daejarn Asi scooted over for the Warriors.

Montoya added his second in the 78th minute and Walsh’s conversion made it 32-30, leaving the Warriors a minute to get into the field-goal range, but they couldn’t get there, with Johnson’s rushed 50-meter shot charged down, ending the game .



Posted , updated


Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.